May 14 8:30 – Caltrans has a Bike to Work Day Ride in Irvine. Click on the graphic below for details.
May 15 6:00 pm – Annual Ride of Silence – City of Orange Civic Center. More information is on the ride’s Facebook page.
May 16th 7:30 am – 10:00am OCTA is hosting their annual Bike Rally. After a 3-mile ride, there will have snacks, a raffle and some guest speakers. On the OCTA website you can make a pledge and win prizes or track your miles. There’s even an employer resource kit. Check out the OCTA Bike Month web page.
What if California would suspend the license of any motorist who injures a vulnerable road user? StreetsBlog Denver reports on a new law in Colorado that could do just that.
April 25, 2019 Edition
Here’s an update on some recent OCBC activities:
- OCBC contacted the City of Laguna Hills requesting signage at the intersection of northbound Avenida de Carlota at Los Alisos Blvd to indicate where bicyclist should stop to trigger a stop light change. OCBC also requested that the light stay green long enough for bicyclist to safely cross busy Los Alisos Blvd. Map of This Intersection. The city responded with a plan to install a “bike button” to change the traffic signal for bicyclists when requested.
- Thanked the City of Tustin for their commitment to OCBC to replace five drainage grates along Irvine Blvd that could catch bicycle wheels.
- OCBC recommended to the City of Lake Forest changes to the area of Cook’s Corner that are dangerous for bicyclist. Map of This Area
- Thanked the City of Irvine for filling in a valve cover in the middle of a street. It was a hazard to bicyclists.
- Attended an OC Parks Commission meeting to discuss the long-promised Class 1 trail through Peter’s Canyon Regional Park. Unfortunately, although regional parks are supposed to serve all Orange County residents, OC Parks Commission decided to relegate Peter’s Canyon to be a publicly funded private reserve for the neighbors of the park. This leaves a gaping hole in the Class 1 trail that was has been planned for decades to run from the Orange County mountains to the sea. OCBC is considering all options to revise plans for Peter’s Canyon Regional Park so the plans will serve all Orange County residents.
- OCBC contacted Orange County Public Works, Orange County Parks and the City of Tustin with serious concerns and objections to bicycle infrastructure plans meant to bypass the Peter’s Canyon Regional Park.
The Orange County Bicycle Coalition’s mission is “To promote bicycling as an everyday means of transportation and recreation”. Join the OCBC Today!
Mike Wilkinson has been elected to the Orange County Bicycle Coalition Board of Directors. Mike is an enthusiastic bicyclist with marketing and business management experience and a deep desire to improve bicycling for everyone in Orange County. As a resident of Buena Park, Mike will strengthen the OCBC in northwest Orange County, and he will help with the OCBC’s online presence.
Mike with his wife Angela